How Effective is CBD for Period Cramp Relief?
Menstrual periods can go with minor discomfort in most women. In many others, the discomfort arising from menstrual periods can be debilitating to such an extent that it may even prevent them from carrying out day-to-day activities.
Menstrual cramps are a term generally used to describe cramp-like pain in the pelvis and abdomen. These pains occur either before the menstrual period or during it. Apart from conventional ways of managing, CBD for period cramp relief.
There has not been a defined set of risk factors that contribute to causing severe menstrual cramps. Experts think that fibroids in the reproductive system and a condition known as endometriosis are a cause of cramps. The conventional methods of managing symptoms of period cramps and CBD for period cramp relief are aimed at providing pain relief.
Menstrual cramps also become less in frequency and pain level with age or after childbearing if they are a result of an underlying health condition.
Symptoms of Period Cramps
The symptoms of menstrual cramps are easy to detect. Some of the most common are as follows:
- Mild to intense pain in your abdomen.
- Pain in the lower abdomen travels to the back and down into the thighs
- Pain in the lower abdomen starts either 2 to 3 days before the start of the menstrual period. The peak of this pain comes within 24 hours of the start of a menstrual period and it usually resolves in the next 2 to 3 days.
- Pain is accompanied by an ache that is continuous and dull.
- Light headed-ness.
Causes of Period Cramps
During menstruation, the uterine wall is shed to make way for the next egg and prepare the uterus for another cycle of fertilization. To shed the wall effectively, the prostaglandin hormone causes contraction and it often causes pain and inflammation during contraction of the uterine wall. If the levels of prostaglandins are higher it will translate into severe menstrual cramps as well. That is why some people are more inclined towards using CBD for PMS cramp relief.
Some conditions that may cause period cramps are the following:
Everyone has heard of PMS but what the heck is adenomyosis? If the lining of the uterus grows into the wall of the uterus it can lead to a condition known as adenomyosis. Adenomyosis leads to heavy periods which can be painful and last longer than usual.
The presence of fibroids in the uterus causes undue pressure on the lining of the uterus. It can lead to irregular and painful menstruation cramps. Fibroids are not something to be worried about as they are not cancerous but they can cause other complications and sometimes hysterectomies.
Premenstrual syndrome or PMS occurs a week or two before the onset of menstruation. It is characterized by hormonal changes, like cravings for sweets and carbohydrates along with headaches and mood swings. PMS usually end as soon as the bleeding phase starts.
The size of the cervical opening is reduced to a smaller size in the condition known as cervical stenosis. Because of the inadequate release of pressure, it builds up inside the uterus and leads to a painful experience.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Usually transmitted sexually, it is an infection of the reproductive tract. It is usually caused by a bacterium. Due to this infection, inflammation occurs and causes painful periods. Very important to consider a pre or probiotic supplement.
The most painful condition (endometriosis) can occur when the lining of the uterus penetrates other parts of the reproductive tract. It is a major reason for very painful period cramps. While a body cleanse and SerraZyme the best natural anti inflammatory supplement, are your best defense, addressing the pain can be a very good start.
How to Stop Period Cramps
Because menstrual cramps are not a life-threatening condition, they can be managed at home with some easy-to-do things. Some of these include:
- Applying heat – a hot pad can be used to apply heat to the bloated part of the lower abdomen. Applying heat to the pelvis and lower back can be very effective for instant pain relief. Another way of keeping the lower abdomen and back warm is to draw a warm bath and take it.
- Lifestyle changes are also an important answer to the question of how to stop period cramps? Improving diet is important to remove complex carbs and processed sugars from it and add simpler nutrients that are light on the stomach and easy to digest. Also remember that caffeine, alcohol, salt, and sugar contribute to bloating therefore these should be avoided at all costs. A regular medium workout is also important to keep the body active and prepare the body to bear painful menstrual cramps.
- Meditation and yoga help the body in focusing the energy to the core and building up strength to power through the menstrual cramps.
- If the levels of micronutrients such as minerals and vitamins are depleted in the body then it will only contribute towards the severity of the menstrual cramps. Because of this, it is important to take mineral and vitamin supplements. Vitamin D, B6 Magnesium, Calcium etc.
CBD for PMS Cramp Relief
CBD (cannabidiol) is known for its two major properties i.e., pain-killing and anti-inflammation. Pain is the main characteristic of menstrual cramps and CBD is important in pain-killing properties to address this problem.
CBD products (gummies, oils, drops, and vapes) are easy for the body to take up. It is absorbed into the bloodstream and kicks in almost instantly. The pain-killing effect as a result of intake of CBD is also instant. Another added benefit of taking CBD for PMS cramp relief is that it allows the person to relax and get rid of any tension whatsoever. Stress and anxiety are two things that are most commonly reported by women going through PMS.
Premenstrual syndrome is characterized by hormonal changes in the body. These hormonal changes also affect the endocannabinoid apparatus of the body. The Endocannabinoid system is of prime importance in maintaining a balanced hormone presence in the body.
Because of an imbalance of hormones due to PMS a person experiences sudden changes in moods and also affects the endocannabinoid system. CBD can help the body counter the effect of hormonal changes in the body as a result of PMS and other painful ongoing issues.
CBD for period cramp relief is an effective way of managing the pain and stress that accompanies this condition. Its properties are anti-inflammatory and also have other positive effects on the body as well.